Thyroid Problems/Hashimotos

Question
Hi, I had blood work done in December, TSH was 1.9 and both t3 t4 were in normal range.
I had been alternating between 50 mcg and 75 mcg but due to irregular periods and still feeling constantly tired, my doctor told me to strictly take 75 mcg.
Just recently had blood work done again and tsh went up to 5.45 and t3 and t4 were still in normal range.
The odd thing is that since I continued with only 75 mcg I have felt so much better. Periods are coming every month, I'm sleeping better, hair isn't falling out, steady energy most days.
How could my tsh go up so much in a short period of time after I've increased my dose? Also, my doctor increased my dose to 88 mcg but I'm concerned to go up because I feel perfectly normal but is it possible that I need the upgraded dose but don't have any symptoms?
I'm confused by all of this.

Thanks for your help!

Answer
1- If you have autoimmune thyroiditis ( confirmed with TPO antibodies, Thyroglobulin antibodies, and ultrasound) then you can fluctuate between hypothyroid and hyperthyroid.

If you are autoimmune (Hashimotos) then they are NOT addressing the Autoimmune aspect of the issue and your body can still attack your thyroid, symptoms or not.

They should be going by your symptoms for meds, but the TSH went up and they are taught to increase the meds because that should bring it back down.

Things to consider- there are many other nutrients needed for proper thyroid function including: selenium, iodine, zinc, Tyrosine etc. You could have good T3 and T4 but not converting well due to lack of good nutrients. Your adrenal glands need support by default when you have a thyroid issue, as they try to take up some of the thyroid's work- I highly recommend adaptogenic herbs to bring the body support and balance, those include Ashwaghanda, rhodiola and holy basil.

My range for TSH is 1.3-2.0. Really they should be going with your symptoms more than anything for medication changes, but TSH going up even more with less symptoms doesn't typically add up. And the medication going up from before, if anything, should have lowered your TSH not raised it.

IF you are Hashimotos, you need to eliminate gluten, dairy and soy from your diet they are known contributors to auto immunue issues and goitrogens as well. There are ways to limit the attack of the immune system to the body, through a lot of digestive healing, so I do encourage if this is your case you seek out a functional medicine doctor or naturopath as they are very good at helping with these issues.

Hope this is helpful.

Dr. Kalli Prater, D.C.
www.relaxattranquility.com

Thyroid Problems

Dr. Kalli Prater