Tigers/five epic matchups

Hello Srinivasa,

Thoughts and answers to the five epic matchhups?

3 300 kg elks vs 100 kg feral hog

3 400 kg muskox vs 400 kg alaskan brown bear

3 250 kg sable antelopes vs 200 kg lion

3 90 kg cougars vs 140 kg bengal tigress

3 225 kg red deers vs 250 kg eurasian brown bear

Even one elk would be too much for a feral hog and hence three elks against a single feral hog is a highly unmatched contest. One can say without doubt that elk will win without any difficulty.
Even though Alaskan brown bear is a very powerful animal, while facing three musk oxen he would be in precarious position. As the weight of all these animals is the same (say about 400 kg) musk oxen will win against brown bear, even though with a lot of difficulty.
A 200 kg lion is a very powerful animal indeed, but if there are three sable antelopes weighing well over 250 kg, itís indeed very difficult for the lion to stand up to that challenge. Sables will be the winners in that case. One or two of them might be killed by lion, but they will be the ultimate winners.
Even though a tigress is a very powerful animal, it is difficult for her to face three cougars weighing around 90 kg. In this case, chances are that cougars win every seven out of ten battles, but tigress too holds her own chances, no matter however slim they are.
Three 225 kg red deer can kill a 250 kg Eurasian brown bear, provided they have the heart to face such a formidable predator. Deer are well equipped with antlers, which, despite being ornamental structures, can act as organs of defense in case of emergency. So they stand a better chance over brown bear.

Srinivasa Murthy S V

I can answer most questions related to wildlife. I love nature to such an extent that I have even created my e-mail id in the name of one of the most beautiful birds of western ghats, malabar trogon. I am particularly interested in mammals and birds, but can also answer questions related to reptiles and amphibians. One can ask questions related to taxonomy also.

Frankly speaking, I don't have any experience of working in this field officially, but interest is my biggest strength and since I am from malnad region, I live in the midst of nature. Birdwatching is my favorite hobby and Salim Ali's "The book of indian birds" is my all-time companion whereever I go. I want to do something for the conservation of our rapidly dwindling wildlife...

Recently I have joined India Nature Watch and have posted some photographs, but I am still the beginner in the field. I have a lot of interest to grow in this field and looking for opportunities.

I have written many articles both in English and my mother language, Kannada. My articles were published in Kannada magazines like Sudha, Taranga, Mayura, Kasturi, Karmaveera etc, but none of my english articles were accepted for publication.

I have completed my graduation with Physics, Mathematics and Computer Science as my main subjects. I completed graduation in 2009 with 86.41%. Even though I never studied Biology as a main subject, but that didn't affect my love for wildlife in any way. I tried to join M.Sc course in NCBS. I even passed the entrance exam, but I failed to clear the next steps. So i had to postpone my ideas temparorily.

No, I haven't yet got any awards.