Time-Shares/Lost timeshare week due to late reservation

Question
I've had my timeshare in Orlando, FL since late '90s and have always been timely on my payments of the maintenance fees and have even banked my weeks with Interval Int'l a number of times. This year, due to multiple deaths in the family, I've not had the time nor the mindset to request my week's reservation 'til October. In response to my reservation request, I was notified that I've lost my week for this year since I made my reservation too late and they're all sold out.  Can they do that?  What's disappointing is when I went to this resort's website, I can make a reservation as a non-owner and a paying customer for a week with no problems as there are available units.  So how can they be sold out?  Do I have a recourse? I'm willing to take this company to court if I need to as I feel deceived and unfairly treated as an owner. Honestly, it's all about the principle and not about the money.

Thanks.

Answer
Reina,

Thank you for the question. It depends on the resort for the most part. Most of them have two separate sets of inventory. Inventory for owners, and inventory for renters or the public. It sounds like the resort is not HOA managed. You would need to consult your original purchase documents to see if there is anything about renting out units that go unused by the owners.

You may have a case if there is availability to the public but you can not reserve it.

Thanks.

Time-Shares

John Kushman