Time-Shares/Giving away a timeshare

Hi,  we own a Marriott barony beach timeshare in Hilton head.  We want to give it to a friend of our's who already owns a week there and would love to have another.   All of our fees, etc., are current and paid in full.  There is no loan.  What is the easiest way to do this?  Can we use a quit claim deed?  I understand Marriott has the right of first refusal but I have no idea how to go about finding out.  I do not want to give it to Marriott but if they find out we are giving it away, can they come back and make us give it to them?  Also, can we just prepare the quit claim deed and record it ourselves or do we have to go through a closing company in South Carolina? We want to do this as simply and easily as possible as well as quickly because our friends want to use it.  Thanks!

If you are gifting the property to friends then you should be able to use a deed of gift and not be subject to ROFR as there is no money exchanging hands. I believe South Carolina can be done without hiring an attorney or closing company as long as the seller or buyer is preparing the deed. South Carolina does not allow quitclaim deeds. I would suggest using a deed of gift and sending that to Marriott to conduct the transfer.

John Kushman

I can answer any questions regarding the timeshare industry, developer sales, resales, vacation clubs, donation, liquidation, listing, for sale by owner, RCI, II, SFX exchange. Anything related to timeshares or campground memberships or fractional vacation real estate

I have been in the industry for 7 years. I started selling timeshare for a developer in South Dakota. I then transitioned into the escrow side of the resale market and I am currently the VP of Sales and Marketing at Resort Closings, Inc. Resort Closings Inc is the largest timeshare escrow service in North America. It provides full service timeshare transfer as well as sales.

High School Diploma. 3 years of Higher Education.