Time-Shares/Giving away a timeshare

Question
Hi,  we own a Marriott barony beach timeshare in Hilton head.  We want to give it to a friend of our's who already owns a week there and would love to have another.   All of our fees, etc., are current and paid in full.  There is no loan.  What is the easiest way to do this?  Can we use a quit claim deed?  I understand Marriott has the right of first refusal but I have no idea how to go about finding out.  I do not want to give it to Marriott but if they find out we are giving it away, can they come back and make us give it to them?  Also, can we just prepare the quit claim deed and record it ourselves or do we have to go through a closing company in South Carolina? We want to do this as simply and easily as possible as well as quickly because our friends want to use it.  Thanks!

Answer
Brenda,

If you are gifting the property to friends then you should be able to use a deed of gift and not be subject to ROFR as there is no money exchanging hands. I believe South Carolina can be done without hiring an attorney or closing company as long as the seller or buyer is preparing the deed. South Carolina does not allow quitclaim deeds. I would suggest using a deed of gift and sending that to Marriott to conduct the transfer.

John

Time-Shares

John Kushman