I own a timeshare in the Orlando area and have been hit with a maintenance fee bill that has increased substantially over the past few years.  The grounds are not being kept up to reflect this increased cost.  Is there anything I can do?

Thanks for writing, Thomas.

This is an all too familiar situation. not that it makes it any better for you or the thousands of owners in similar situations.

The first thing I recommend is reviewing the resort's budget, assuming they provided you with one.  Take a look at it and see what the "bad debt" or foreclosure figure is.  Those figures are telling.

I would also suggest you craft a letter to the resort General Manager and to the head of the resort group if applicable with some direct questions.

I strongly recommend that you attend the annual meeting and find out the procedure for getting on the HOA board.

Also, talk to as many owners as possible and get them to take similar actions.  The resort has a distinct advantage as they don't make owner lists available to other owners.  

Please follow up and let me know how these strategies work out.

Lisa Ann Schreier

Timeshare: Buying both on primary and secondary market, using, timeshare owners rights, exchanging, selling. I can not nor will I give legal advice nor will I endorse products. I do not buy, sell, rent, list, transfer any timeshare nor am I affiliated with any timeshare.

I have been writing about the timeshare industry since 2005. Author of two consumer books and co-author of college level text. Blogger, speaker, consumer advocate. I wrote the Timeshare Owners Bill of Rights and the Resorts' Best Practices currently being used by the National Timeshare Owners Association.

North American Travel Journalists Association

Resort Trades, Sharetime, RCI Ventures, TimeSharing Today, Timeshare Beat, Ladies Home Journal, Wall Street Journal, my own blog.

Bachelor of Science-Business and Management Northeastern Illinois University

Former Executive Director of National Timeshare Owners Association