Time-Shares/New Buyer

As a prospective new buyer of a time share I find the process very confusing - what is the difference between and advantages of leased, deeded and licensed properties?  Also, is there a rating resource for timeshare owners to rate and share their experiences?

Thank you for your question, Susan.

Buying a timeshare can in fact be quite confusing.  As you pointed out there are a myriad of options available---some of them easy to understand, others not so much.  These options and the price of a timeshare, makes purchasing one after a two-hour sales pitch problematic.

Deeded timeshares mean you own your portion in perpetuity and generally with a full bundle of rights including using, renting, selling and willing.  Right to use timeshares are also known as leases and are for either a specific time period (20 years) or specific number of uses (20 usages).  The market is due for a huge shift as more and more consumers do not want anything in perpetuity these days, particularly since selling a timeshare is fraught with issues.

Both of the major exchange companies, RCI and II rate their own resorts based on user feedback and both have more detailed reviews online.  Also, there is a fairly new site called Timeshare Advisor that has some unedited reviews from consumers.

If you are consider purchasing a timeshare, it is a good idea to check all of those resources as well as other online sites to get as much information as possible.  Do exercise some caution however when dealing with either a salesperson at the resort or a reputable reseller as their primary line of business is to sell you a timeshare, which may or may not be a good fit for you.

If you require additional information, please feel free to check out my site.  I do offer assistance to consumers looking to purchase and since I have no financial stake in the outcome, (I no longer hold a real estate license), consumers have found my advice truly unbiased.

Lisa Ann Schreier

Timeshare: Buying both on primary and secondary market, using, timeshare owners rights, exchanging, selling. I can not nor will I give legal advice nor will I endorse products. I do not buy, sell, rent, list, transfer any timeshare nor am I affiliated with any timeshare.

I have been writing about the timeshare industry since 2005. Author of two consumer books and co-author of college level text. Blogger, speaker, consumer advocate. I wrote the Timeshare Owners Bill of Rights and the Resorts' Best Practices currently being used by the National Timeshare Owners Association.

North American Travel Journalists Association

Resort Trades, Sharetime, RCI Ventures, TimeSharing Today, Timeshare Beat, Ladies Home Journal, Wall Street Journal, my own blog.

Bachelor of Science-Business and Management Northeastern Illinois University

Former Executive Director of National Timeshare Owners Association