Time-Shares/Timeshare market trends

What affect has the economy (specifically the fall of the housing market) had on the time share market?

Great question Lisa.

The economy has taken a toll on the timeshare industry.  According to industry statistics, sales have fallen from more than $10B in 2007 to less than $6B in 2011, although more recent statistics show that number on the rise.

Timeshare developers found that their ability to extend credit to consumers was significantly restricted, which I feel was a good thing.

The timeshare owners were hit harder though.  Many timeshare owners found that they could not afford either the mortgage payments and/or the annual fees and walked away.  Something that I do not recommend in any case.  This left the remaining owners faced with increased annual fees to make up the shortfall.

In my opinion, the failure of the primary market to foresee this situation is to blame.

It's important to realize that timeshare is NOT an investment and should not be purchased based solely on a two hour sales pitch.  Ownership comes with benefits as well as responsibilities.

The one bright spot in this is that there are a large number of good deals available on the legitimate secondary market.  Do your homework though before considering purchasing anything.

Lisa Ann Schreier

Timeshare: Buying both on primary and secondary market, using, timeshare owners rights, exchanging, selling. I can not nor will I give legal advice nor will I endorse products. I do not buy, sell, rent, list, transfer any timeshare nor am I affiliated with any timeshare.

I have been writing about the timeshare industry since 2005. Author of two consumer books and co-author of college level text. Blogger, speaker, consumer advocate. I wrote the Timeshare Owners Bill of Rights and the Resorts' Best Practices currently being used by the National Timeshare Owners Association.

North American Travel Journalists Association

Resort Trades, Sharetime, RCI Ventures, TimeSharing Today, Timeshare Beat, Ladies Home Journal, Wall Street Journal, my own blog.

Bachelor of Science-Business and Management Northeastern Illinois University

Former Executive Director of National Timeshare Owners Association