Time-Shares/Timeshare pressure

Question
QUESTION: Hi i bought timeshare while in bali. Can i get out of this mess.  i paid 25000 AUD on the 26th april 15.  If i dont get my money back.  Can i just ignor the whole thing and can they still get the management fees off me.

thankyou

ANSWER: Hi Polly,

You are most likely outside of the rescission period you have to cancel the agreement and receive any sort of refund. I would suggest contacting the resort to see if they are willing to work with you.

It is hard to say with a property outside of the US if there is anyway for them to still get the management fees from you. Walking away from the ownership and payment responsibility may effect your credit. I am not familiar enough with properties and owners outside of the US to say definitively one way or the other.

Thanks,
John

QUESTION: Thanks john, i am devasted about the whole thing and i need a definite answer to my question.  I appreciate your advice but i need some positive guidance as i am so nieve to the whole situation.  I am willing to forfeit my outlay but i dont to pay anymore monies.  I have paid enough and i cant believe that i have got myself into this mess.  There are so many people in the same situation.  I am a pensioner and i cant afford this.

thanks and i need desperate help

Answer
Polly,

If the resort or management company is not in the same country as you then there is pretty much no way they can force payment from you. They can send you bills and to collections but they would not have any power to collect on that debt.

Is it possible for you to use the property that you purchased? You were able to pay for the ownership. I would at least try to use it once or twice to see if it is something that may be worth your while to use it.

John

Time-Shares

John Kushman