Tips on Buying Cars/CVT Transmissions

Mike wrote at 2010-07-18 18:36:10
Jeremy, unfortunately, you are a bit wrong about CVT. CVT = "Continuously Variable Transmission". See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuously_variable_transmission

This article provides a lot of very good information. As far as reliability, I have yet to see an objective comparison clearly defining the better transmission. All I know for sure is they are FUN to drive!

Laura Kornak wrote at 2011-02-03 22:46:01
Ok you said that this is a good transmission. This is the trans we had. Funny as my husband & I just bought a 2004 Saturn Ion 9 mths. ago, put 18,000 miles on the car & the trans just blew this week. Aamco just told us to replace it would be $6,010.!!!!!! We bought the car for $7,000.00!!!!! This is a VERY expensive transmission to say the least! I have lost my appetite for this car period & for the dealer as well.

Hope it helps wrote at 2012-01-25 21:35:58
I have a 2003 Saturn with a CVT and from what I have learned is that they are extremely expensive to fix.  A used transmission to replace mine is going to cost over $2000.  This does not include labor to put it in my car, nor the fluid to go back in it.  (To get the transmission fluid changed will cost over $150 when it does need it).  The shop I called said they know of two other vehicles with the same transmission awaiting replacements.

Wally1 wrote at 2013-01-29 20:43:30
Jeremy has a lot of experience in the automotive SALES or administrative end of the auto market. How many transmissions or engines has he rebuilt? Sorry, he is probably a good person, but he is not qualified to answer the question. Sales people will spout fuel mileage and drivability features of CVT transmissions, but if you are considering buying a vehicle with the only choice for a transmission is a a CVT, walk away. I have rebuilt numerous automatic transmissions. CVT, with all the technology, are nothing more then a really complicated electronic controlled snowmobile powertrain design. Yes, they have metal link drive belt systems now, however they are still prone to high rates of failure, when they fail (and they do) no one will work on them and they are really expensive to replace. Key word is REPLACE=Expensive. I work on this stuff and I won't own one. Please don't just take my word for it, research it yourself. Talk to technicians who have to actually work on some of these new designs. Thanks.  

Tips on Buying Cars

Jeremy Beck