Tips on Buying Cars/purchase in Ca. live in Nevada

Question
I plan to purchase a new car in California however I am a Nevada Resident and plan to take the car there . Do I have to pay California sales tax when I am taking the car out of state to be licensed and registered?

Answer
car guy
car guy  
Hi Larry,

The answer is No...you don't (Thank the Lord!) The CA dealer will write you a one way pass for $23 that permits you to drive the car to Nevada and if you were stopped you would show the pass to law enforcement. The one way pass is meant to permit you to drive from the selling dealer directly to the Nevada DMV and register the car. I have heard THERE ARE ALSO some dealers who will try and collect the tax in California and then you show your paperwork to Nevada DMV who will credit you this amount (and then collect from NV?) if this happens resist it with all of your might...it could turn into a nightmare. Remember that California is broke~!

I would avoid all of the headache and hassle and just buy the car in Nevada...since it's a new car you can get the exact same deal from a Nevada dealer

Hope this helps

Feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you want until you are completely satisfied with what you are supposed to do and can truthfully give me perfect 10's on the survey allexperts will send you   thx

Tips on Buying Cars

Roger Alvey