Tips on Buying Cars/Title with no lender on it

My significant other passed away and left me his 2010 Camaro. It's about halfway paid off. In the last six months, he switched lenders and the DMV ended up sending him the title with only his name on it, with no lender or security interest on it. If I take it to DMV to get it transfered to my name, will the loan show on it?

Hi Vicki ...sorry to hear about your loss ... the short answer to your question is ...probably.

What happened was that when one bank paid off the other the original bank signed off as security interest holder and then sent out the title to him not knowing or ignoring the fact that the payoff may have come from another bank ... the important question for me to know more is how long ago did this change of lenders take place? Bank #2 would generally have been all over him in fairly short order because they only have so many days to perfect their security interest in the vehicle and they usually need the title to get it done.

What you should do is call the DMV and tell the clerk that your husband (not SO) just passed away and left things to you and you have some car titles and you planned on liquidating the cars and wanted to make sure there were no lienholders showing on their end that would cause a problem when you sold it in the very near future. They will look it up by the plate number or VIN and tell you if anyone has filed a lien on the title ...other people besides banks can lien cars (like child support etc) so you will just be doing your due diligence ...I have had this come up before and as I recall there is about a 60/40 chance that they have jumped on thwe title ...once again it depends on how long ago he did this ... If you get back to me with what state you are in I may be able to tell you using an online system that we susbcribe too ...would also need the VIN number can send that to my personal email

good luck

Tips on Buying Cars

Roger Alvey

I can answer any question about the car buying process. I am a recognized industry expert on all issues regarding auto finance, including sub prime and buy here pay here financing, I can answer questions about car lock out systems, GPS monitoring by your bank, and about auto recovery methods and defenses. I am a 20 yr car industry expert and can tell you what to look for in a used car, how to negotiate the deal, help with how to market your own car, and how to negotiate with the internet department of any car store. I can tell you every single way the dealer is set up to beat you and how to avoid those traps, I can discuss all aftermarket and extended service contract products you will be offered in the finance process, I have lectured extensively on "The Best Way to Buy a Car" to civic groups and university students. I am a credit expert and can tell you what the dealer and banks are looking for and the rate you can expect to pay. HERE IS THE LINK TO MY OTHER ALLEXPERTS CATEGORIES WHERE I HAVE ANSWERED LOTS OF QUESTIONS HERE IS A LINK TO MY BLOG

20 years industry experience in top management of dealerships and dealer groups. Recognized industry expert since 2004 in the Top 10 industry experts for The Gerson Lehrman Groups Auto Industry Council. I also do consulting work for Atheneum Partners, Expert 360, Expert Connect and Coleman Research. I have been a franchise owner and understand all facets of the auto industry from the time the car leaves the factory until it leaves the lot with it's new owner. I have written training materials for both the prime and the subprime sales and finance process.

NADA, OADA, NFIB, State Certified Used Car Appraiser

Special Finance Insider, Dealer, and Automotive News, Gerson Lehrman Group Auto Industry Council News (frequently)

Willamette University - Salem Oregon BA Economics Willamette University Graduate School of Business - Econometrics Statistics

GM's Award of (their most prestigious award) Given to Dealers who surpass their annual benchmark planning volume while also maintaining Top Box (top 5%) CSI

Citadel Investment Group , Summit Partners US ,Broad Peak Investment Management, Nautic Partners, LLC, Hellman & Friedman Investors, L.P. and over 40 additional money managers, hedge funds and research groups