Tips on Buying Cars/purchase of car

I signed a retail order for a motor vehicle purchase. They had to order my car because it was not the one i wanted. I was going to trade in my current car but have decided to sell it to a private person. I still have my car and have not picked up the new one nor have I done any financing yet. Are those papers that I signed  binding to me

car guy
car guy  
Hi Jacque,

The short answer is that you haven't bought anything until you drive off the lot in the based upon your circumstances ..No aren't bound to the agreement per se. If you have read any of my advice on here then you know that I regularly tell people to do exactly what you are doing: Sell your trade yourself and buy the new car with no trade and with your own financing in place which the dealer can either beat or not.

Now in your case you must have negotiated your deal with the trade included so if you decide to follow through with the purchase of the car you ordered then you would have to renegotiate the deal with the dealer based upon these new circumstances. If you tell me exactly what it is you ordered and what the MSRP was on the car (not what you agreed to pay) but the factory Munroney sticker price and I will tell you what the dealer invoice is and what a fair price to pay for the car is.

You should also know that when a dealer orders a car (with very few exceptions) it doesn't affect his allocation at all and so if it was an in demand vehicle or had any 'controlled commodities' (like a special engine that is in demand etc.) then you have actually done the dealer a favor (sort of obviously they would rather sell he car than have it sitting on their lot) I can't believe that they let you order a car without putting any type of a deposit down but if they did so much the better.

Let me know if there is anything else you need to know because I am with you on this deal until it's done or until you are completely satisfied with my answers and fully understand what i am saying so you can give the perfect 10's when you are sent a survey at the end of this project.

Good Luck and if you have follow ups then ask away my personal email is which is an email that goes straight to my phone.

The Car Guy  

Tips on Buying Cars

Roger Alvey

I can answer any question about the car buying process. I am a recognized industry expert on all issues regarding auto finance, including sub prime and buy here pay here financing, I can answer questions about car lock out systems, GPS monitoring by your bank, and about auto recovery methods and defenses. I am a 20 yr car industry expert and can tell you what to look for in a used car, how to negotiate the deal, help with how to market your own car, and how to negotiate with the internet department of any car store. I can tell you every single way the dealer is set up to beat you and how to avoid those traps, I can discuss all aftermarket and extended service contract products you will be offered in the finance process, I have lectured extensively on "The Best Way to Buy a Car" to civic groups and university students. I am a credit expert and can tell you what the dealer and banks are looking for and the rate you can expect to pay. HERE IS THE LINK TO MY OTHER ALLEXPERTS CATEGORIES WHERE I HAVE ANSWERED LOTS OF QUESTIONS HERE IS A LINK TO MY BLOG

20 years industry experience in top management of dealerships and dealer groups. Recognized industry expert since 2004 in the Top 10 industry experts for The Gerson Lehrman Groups Auto Industry Council. I also do consulting work for Atheneum Partners, Expert 360, Expert Connect and Coleman Research. I have been a franchise owner and understand all facets of the auto industry from the time the car leaves the factory until it leaves the lot with it's new owner. I have written training materials for both the prime and the subprime sales and finance process.

NADA, OADA, NFIB, State Certified Used Car Appraiser

Special Finance Insider, Dealer, and Automotive News, Gerson Lehrman Group Auto Industry Council News (frequently)

Willamette University - Salem Oregon BA Economics Willamette University Graduate School of Business - Econometrics Statistics

GM's Award of (their most prestigious award) Given to Dealers who surpass their annual benchmark planning volume while also maintaining Top Box (top 5%) CSI

Citadel Investment Group , Summit Partners US ,Broad Peak Investment Management, Nautic Partners, LLC, Hellman & Friedman Investors, L.P. and over 40 additional money managers, hedge funds and research groups