Tips on Buying Cars/ordering car

QUESTION: When ordering a new car with specific options, instead of buying one off the lot, how long does it usually take to arrive?  Thanks

ANSWER: he short answer is depends. What does it depend on it depends upon which manufacturer you are attempting to order the car through with automakers like Toyota being less responsive than Ford and Chevrolet.

When dealing with the domestics (Ford and Chevrolet) it can also depend upon whether or not you are requesting a vehicle that has a "controlled commodity" a certain (power stroke or Duramax ) engine (for example. All minor issues aside you should expect to wait for 60 days ...hit me back with what you arte trying to order and I will tell you almost exactly

QUESTION: I'm thinking of either the Scion tC or Nissan Juke with no major requests, just specific things like color and general options. Thanks

ANSWER: My personal thinking on this since you aren't looking for anything outlandish be added to the car is to allow the dealer to do a locate for what you are looking for. With the Scion almost every option can be added by the dealer at the dealership. If you are worried about the miles that would be put on the car going from the originating dealer to your dealer then just know that they can trailer it. It is rare that the car you are thinking of won't be available somewhere may have an option or two you don't want or need which adds a little to the price but that can be used to negotiate the price down. There isn't any difference between the two from a quality/resale/reliability standpoint and it just boils down to personal taste. I personally like the looks of the Scion better than the Juke.  

QUESTION: If they locate a car for me from another dealer, I would expect some minimal miles on it, maybe even from a tech person driving it first to check it out. But I wouldn't want a car that's been test driven by the public a dozen times. How would I avoid that? Would they be willing to order the exact car I want, if requested, so it hasn't been sitting for months on the lot and test driven? Thanks

Yes they will locate or order the exact car you want ...and with the brands you are considering it is unlikely that your car would need to be transported more than 50 miles...sorry this is so late I didn't see your follow up in my que... Thanks again

Tips on Buying Cars

Roger Alvey

I can answer any question about the car buying process. I am a recognized industry expert on all issues regarding auto finance, including sub prime and buy here pay here financing, I can answer questions about car lock out systems, GPS monitoring by your bank, and about auto recovery methods and defenses. I am a 20 yr car industry expert and can tell you what to look for in a used car, how to negotiate the deal, help with how to market your own car, and how to negotiate with the internet department of any car store. I can tell you every single way the dealer is set up to beat you and how to avoid those traps, I can discuss all aftermarket and extended service contract products you will be offered in the finance process, I have lectured extensively on "The Best Way to Buy a Car" to civic groups and university students. I am a credit expert and can tell you what the dealer and banks are looking for and the rate you can expect to pay. HERE IS THE LINK TO MY OTHER ALLEXPERTS CATEGORIES WHERE I HAVE ANSWERED LOTS OF QUESTIONS HERE IS A LINK TO MY BLOG

20 years industry experience in top management of dealerships and dealer groups. Recognized industry expert since 2004 in the Top 10 industry experts for The Gerson Lehrman Groups Auto Industry Council. I also do consulting work for Atheneum Partners, Expert 360, Expert Connect and Coleman Research. I have been a franchise owner and understand all facets of the auto industry from the time the car leaves the factory until it leaves the lot with it's new owner. I have written training materials for both the prime and the subprime sales and finance process.

NADA, OADA, NFIB, State Certified Used Car Appraiser

Special Finance Insider, Dealer, and Automotive News, Gerson Lehrman Group Auto Industry Council News (frequently)

Willamette University - Salem Oregon BA Economics Willamette University Graduate School of Business - Econometrics Statistics

GM's Award of (their most prestigious award) Given to Dealers who surpass their annual benchmark planning volume while also maintaining Top Box (top 5%) CSI

Citadel Investment Group , Summit Partners US ,Broad Peak Investment Management, Nautic Partners, LLC, Hellman & Friedman Investors, L.P. and over 40 additional money managers, hedge funds and research groups