Tips on Buying Cars/advertised 'special'

Question
Geoffrey, I've asked you several questions over the past few months and you've been a great help. I have just one more for now, hope you don't mind. I'm getting ready to lease and the local dealer is advertising a "special" on a 2013 Nissan, they are obviously trying to move out the '13's. It says "$159 Lease for 36 months, 12k miles per year, $1500 cash down, plus tax, tag and fees. Security deposit waived with approved credit. Extra fees may apply at lease end.  Expires 3/31/14" This sounds dumb, but can I put down more than the $1500 to lower the payments even more? I know you  normally can put down however much you want, but when they have a "special" like this, I wonder if you are locked in to the down payment they adverstise. Please let me know, thanks.

Answer
More money down (capitalized cost reduction) should be OK and will lower the payment but before you commit to that you need to find out about the fees, tax and title. You need an itemized list.  These will be due at lease signing as well. What are the fees at the end of the lease?  If you go over the 36000 mile allowance, each mile would cost you at the end and would be normal but are there other fees at the end?  What is the allowance for wear and tear? You really need to know what all the costs are before you commit to a larger down payment.  
The answer to your question is yes you should be able to put more down.  The rest of your answer is that you should know the amount and reason for every cost involved in the lease before you weigh any other factors.

Tips on Buying Cars

Geoffrey veit