Tips on Buying Cars/'special' leasing offer

Roger, I never got an answer to my follow-up question, so couldn't rate you. But I have a much more urgent question because I'm getting ready to lease very soon. The Nissan dealer here is advertising a 'special' for leasing a 2013 Nissan for $159 mo. for 36 months with $1500 down. They are moving out the 2013's. I've read that before discussing monthly payments, always get the price of the car before anything else. But if it's a special deal and the monthly payment is already set, do I still need to do that? Wouldn't it in a way keep me from getting their 'special'?  Thanks

The answer to your follow up which I didn't see in my queue is that you are not required to change the oil at all ...all of the maintenances are only suggested and no one is going to ask you for documentation of any of them ...they are just going to look at the general condition of the car for damages that go beyond normal wear and tear and if there are any then they will address them... if any...and charge you accordingly.

The second part of your question ...the most recent one is this... whenever you see a lease payment advertised the dealer is required to also give you all of the details ....they are

- The MSRP before discounts
- The money factor   ( a decimal like .00142)
- The residual factor (a %)
- The Lease end value (LEV)
- The total amount of your payments via the term of the lease plus the money down including rebates or factory dealer cash...this will give us the number called the "Cap Cost" whichis synonymous with "price"

These lease payment promotions are done by the captive financing arm of the automaker (Nissan Financial) and the payments are as low as they are because of enhanced or subvented residuals and money factors combined with (usually) a large down payment including the first months payment and fees and a really low price ...if you send me the numbers they list in the ad above and the yr make and model of the car you are thinking about leasing I will tell you exactly what they are going to make on the deal... hopefully you aren't trading anything in

Tips on Buying Cars

Roger Alvey

I can answer any question about the car buying process. I am a recognized industry expert on all issues regarding auto finance, including sub prime and buy here pay here financing, I can answer questions about car lock out systems, GPS monitoring by your bank, and about auto recovery methods and defenses. I am a 20 yr car industry expert and can tell you what to look for in a used car, how to negotiate the deal, help with how to market your own car, and how to negotiate with the internet department of any car store. I can tell you every single way the dealer is set up to beat you and how to avoid those traps, I can discuss all aftermarket and extended service contract products you will be offered in the finance process, I have lectured extensively on "The Best Way to Buy a Car" to civic groups and university students. I am a credit expert and can tell you what the dealer and banks are looking for and the rate you can expect to pay. HERE IS THE LINK TO MY OTHER ALLEXPERTS CATEGORIES WHERE I HAVE ANSWERED LOTS OF QUESTIONS HERE IS A LINK TO MY BLOG

20 years industry experience in top management of dealerships and dealer groups. Recognized industry expert since 2004 in the Top 10 industry experts for The Gerson Lehrman Groups Auto Industry Council. I also do consulting work for Atheneum Partners, Expert 360, Expert Connect and Coleman Research. I have been a franchise owner and understand all facets of the auto industry from the time the car leaves the factory until it leaves the lot with it's new owner. I have written training materials for both the prime and the subprime sales and finance process.

NADA, OADA, NFIB, State Certified Used Car Appraiser

Special Finance Insider, Dealer, and Automotive News, Gerson Lehrman Group Auto Industry Council News (frequently)

Willamette University - Salem Oregon BA Economics Willamette University Graduate School of Business - Econometrics Statistics

GM's Award of (their most prestigious award) Given to Dealers who surpass their annual benchmark planning volume while also maintaining Top Box (top 5%) CSI

Citadel Investment Group , Summit Partners US ,Broad Peak Investment Management, Nautic Partners, LLC, Hellman & Friedman Investors, L.P. and over 40 additional money managers, hedge funds and research groups