Tips on Buying Cars/Trucks vs SUV

For off road trips, are SUVS better or trucks? What about crossover vehicles?

One average, which auto company produces the most fuel efficient diesel engine?

1. Toyota    2. Mitsubishi    3. Nissan

Trucks and SUVs are similar in off road situations.  The question of which one is better is more about what you need to use it for.
If you need passenger room a SUV is obviously better.
If you are talking about durability, I think It would be safe to say that trucks use a more rugged suspension
and axle design so they are probably better for rough off road use
As far as gas mileage , the companies you listed are all very good.  The best way to compare gas mileage is by model and that is because total weight vs engine size and transmission determine gas mileage.
These change by model.  

Tips on Buying Cars

Geoffrey veit

I can answer most any question about buying a car, truck or motorcycle

I was a Sales Manager in the Automobile Industry for 25 years. I worked for Ford, Honda, Mercedes Benz, Nissan and Volkswagen, plus, I was a used car manager for 8 of those years I have also been a sales manager for Harley Davidson for 8 years and metric bikes for 2 years.

Florida Writers Association, National writers association, Mensa

I have had published writing in the Automotive News, Aller Welt magazine (Mercedes Benz), Mensa, Ford times and a few others I have written a number of books including "The Informed Buyer" This book offers advice on how to get a great deal and avoid the hastles of buying or leasing a car, truck or motorcycle. It is available on Amazon-Kindle or Barnes and Noble-Nook for $3.99

I have attended hundreds of work shops and seminars within those industries. My formal education is an associates in Business.