Tips on Buying Cars/When, How, and Which Car to buy?

1) I was thinking of buying a new car in December, because I read that is when you can get the best deal.  Is this true?

2) My plan was to try to get an auto loan from my credit union, so I can buy the car outright at the dealership and possibly get a better deal by doing so.  Your thoughts?

3) I've been researching the best 2015 affordable compact SUV to buy and these are what I came across: Honda CRV, Mazda CX5, Jeep Cherokee, Hyundai Santa Fe, Nissan Rogue, and Kia Sportage.  How would you rank these and why?  I'm not concerned about the bells and whistles.  I just want something durable/longevity.

Thank you,

Good morning CJ I just saw your message in my queue I am traveling this morning but should be able to respond before noon today Pacific time sorry for the delay talk to you soon.

OK I am back home for the evening and here we go...

1. Can you get the best deal in December?
Answer: The data suggests that factory incentives are at their highest in December ...True car data advises people to buy in August where the average transaction prices are the lowest and Edmunds says to buy during the model year changeover which is September-October ish So the short answer is can capture the best factory bribes to get you to buy a new car in the late fall / early winter than any other months. Recognize here CJ that this is for buying the outgoing model year and not the incoming model year. BY this time of the year most of those (in our case) 2015 models will already have blue book values as used cars and won't be worth as much as they were a year before. That's why the incentives are higher. What you sdee happening during this time are factories putting "final pay" dealer cash on certain yr old new cars which is how they clean out all of their old inventories. Dealer cash is not a rebate to the customer its a rebate to the dealer who can elect to either share it with you, write his inventory back or just keep it...almost all will give it to the buyer to make the deal as good as possible wthout losing money. Check the incentives section at to see what the current incentives are and also which cars have the dealer cash on them.

2. Getting money from the credit union (car loan) in advance of buying.

Answer: Great IDEA!! That way you have taken away one of the best ways for a dealer to make a big gross on you ... get pre-approved at your credit union and then let the dealer try to beat their rate ...chances are the dealer is already set up to run contracts thru your local credit union through the CUDL system and you can do it all at the dealership ... get pre approved going in though and if the dealer can sign you up for your credit union then let him do it he will get paid by them to do it usually 1% of the amount financed.

3. What to buy?:

Answer: Get the CRV

Tips on Buying Cars

Roger Alvey

I can answer any question about the car buying process. I am a recognized industry expert on all issues regarding auto finance, including sub prime and buy here pay here financing, I can answer questions about car lock out systems, GPS monitoring by your bank, and about auto recovery methods and defenses. I am a 20 yr car industry expert and can tell you what to look for in a used car, how to negotiate the deal, help with how to market your own car, and how to negotiate with the internet department of any car store. I can tell you every single way the dealer is set up to beat you and how to avoid those traps, I can discuss all aftermarket and extended service contract products you will be offered in the finance process, I have lectured extensively on "The Best Way to Buy a Car" to civic groups and university students. I am a credit expert and can tell you what the dealer and banks are looking for and the rate you can expect to pay. HERE IS THE LINK TO MY OTHER ALLEXPERTS CATEGORIES WHERE I HAVE ANSWERED LOTS OF QUESTIONS HERE IS A LINK TO MY BLOG

20 years industry experience in top management of dealerships and dealer groups. Recognized industry expert since 2004 in the Top 10 industry experts for The Gerson Lehrman Groups Auto Industry Council. I also do consulting work for Atheneum Partners, Expert 360, Expert Connect and Coleman Research. I have been a franchise owner and understand all facets of the auto industry from the time the car leaves the factory until it leaves the lot with it's new owner. I have written training materials for both the prime and the subprime sales and finance process.

NADA, OADA, NFIB, State Certified Used Car Appraiser

Special Finance Insider, Dealer, and Automotive News, Gerson Lehrman Group Auto Industry Council News (frequently)

Willamette University - Salem Oregon BA Economics Willamette University Graduate School of Business - Econometrics Statistics

GM's Award of (their most prestigious award) Given to Dealers who surpass their annual benchmark planning volume while also maintaining Top Box (top 5%) CSI

Citadel Investment Group , Summit Partners US ,Broad Peak Investment Management, Nautic Partners, LLC, Hellman & Friedman Investors, L.P. and over 40 additional money managers, hedge funds and research groups