Tips on Buying Cars/Contract signed but did not leave with car.

Hello, At a dealership, I signed a contract and left with my old car while they were getting the car ready. I reviewed the paperwork and noticed the numbers had changed from what we talked about. Mainly the warranty went from 1800 to 3100. I called them and said I do not want the car now. I don't have a good taste in my mouth about this company. I gave them 500.00 down on my credit card. I told them I want my money back and do not want their car. It was less than an hour of signing that I discovered I signed an agreement with higher numbers and called them and informed them to cancel. Since no goods were exchanged and I kept my car and never took their car, can I get out of the contract?

Wow ... Yes you are correct ... There is no contract until you drive your new car off the property. On top of that they need to give you your $500.00 back. Asap. What they were doing was just trying to take you off the market by making you feel like an owner without actually having the stones to put you out in their car while they tried to get a bank to buy the deal. Chances are the banks that looked at your car deal will do a good job of taking most of the love (profit) out of the deal for you.

It's a classic dilatory practice used car dealers engage in to buy themselves enough time to cover up the fact that they aren't very competent OR maybe you live in a state that doesn't think highly of spot delivering cars because of the potential of having to reel them back in later.

Keep me posted as this drama unfolds and feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you need until we get you through this and never forget to read everything you are asked to sign

Car Guy

Tips on Buying Cars

Roger Alvey

I can answer any question about the car buying process. I am a recognized industry expert on all issues regarding auto finance, including sub prime and buy here pay here financing, I can answer questions about car lock out systems, GPS monitoring by your bank, and about auto recovery methods and defenses. I am a 20 yr car industry expert and can tell you what to look for in a used car, how to negotiate the deal, help with how to market your own car, and how to negotiate with the internet department of any car store. I can tell you every single way the dealer is set up to beat you and how to avoid those traps, I can discuss all aftermarket and extended service contract products you will be offered in the finance process, I have lectured extensively on "The Best Way to Buy a Car" to civic groups and university students. I am a credit expert and can tell you what the dealer and banks are looking for and the rate you can expect to pay. HERE IS THE LINK TO MY OTHER ALLEXPERTS CATEGORIES WHERE I HAVE ANSWERED LOTS OF QUESTIONS HERE IS A LINK TO MY BLOG

20 years industry experience in top management of dealerships and dealer groups. Recognized industry expert since 2004 in the Top 10 industry experts for The Gerson Lehrman Groups Auto Industry Council. I also do consulting work for Atheneum Partners, Expert 360, Expert Connect and Coleman Research. I have been a franchise owner and understand all facets of the auto industry from the time the car leaves the factory until it leaves the lot with it's new owner. I have written training materials for both the prime and the subprime sales and finance process.

NADA, OADA, NFIB, State Certified Used Car Appraiser

Special Finance Insider, Dealer, and Automotive News, Gerson Lehrman Group Auto Industry Council News (frequently)

Willamette University - Salem Oregon BA Economics Willamette University Graduate School of Business - Econometrics Statistics

GM's Award of (their most prestigious award) Given to Dealers who surpass their annual benchmark planning volume while also maintaining Top Box (top 5%) CSI

Citadel Investment Group , Summit Partners US ,Broad Peak Investment Management, Nautic Partners, LLC, Hellman & Friedman Investors, L.P. and over 40 additional money managers, hedge funds and research groups