Tires/More Tread front or rear for Braking?

I read your answer on 8/4/2007 about tread and cornering, and I am happy to have found the expert who conducted that study.  Are there similar studies comparing braking with better tread on front vs rear?  With and without ABS would be another useful variable.

If study results aren't available, please say what you would expect the results to be.   Thank you.

I can not remember where I saw it, but someone had conducted the braking portion of this - and what I remember about it was that it wasn't as dramatic, but the same thing happens.  My interpretation is that if the rear tires start to lose grip first, the rear wants to become the front.  I don't remember if they did ABS or not.  So you won't find me commenting on that because I didn't conduct the test and can't locate the study.

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.