Tires/High Profile tires on Low Profile rim

Can I put 245/70/16 tires on a Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS?  I currently have 205/55/16's on my eclipse, and the low profile causes a horrible ride, especially since the car sits so low and could probably use new shocks and struts in the spring.  I'm hoping to put on the 245/70/16's that I'm taking off of a Kia Sorento with only about 5,000 miles on them as a wintertime fix, especially since I'm out of a job, and money is an issue.  If the wheel well allowance will work, I'll spend the money to have the tires switched over, even though it will likely look kinda funny, but I'm in function over form mode at the moment.  Thanks!

There is a limited amount of clearance in the fenderwells - and at best, the rule of thumb is going up 2 sizes - but there are enough exceptions that this requires a trial fitment to be sure.

You've suggested going up 7 sizes - and obviously that is way, way over 2 sizes.

Besides, ride qualities can vary widely from tire to tire (meaning make and model# - more than a small change in tire size would #like 2 sizes).

So I suggest you do the tire and shock change now and be careful what tire you select.  BTW, ride and handling are opposing parameters and you have to select a compromise that will work for you.

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.