Tires/High Profile tires on Low Profile rim

Question
Can I put 245/70/16 tires on a Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS?  I currently have 205/55/16's on my eclipse, and the low profile causes a horrible ride, especially since the car sits so low and could probably use new shocks and struts in the spring.  I'm hoping to put on the 245/70/16's that I'm taking off of a Kia Sorento with only about 5,000 miles on them as a wintertime fix, especially since I'm out of a job, and money is an issue.  If the wheel well allowance will work, I'll spend the money to have the tires switched over, even though it will likely look kinda funny, but I'm in function over form mode at the moment.  Thanks!
Thom

Answer
Thom,

There is a limited amount of clearance in the fenderwells - and at best, the rule of thumb is going up 2 sizes - but there are enough exceptions that this requires a trial fitment to be sure.

You've suggested going up 7 sizes - and obviously that is way, way over 2 sizes.

Besides, ride qualities can vary widely from tire to tire (meaning make and model# - more than a small change in tire size would #like 2 sizes).

So I suggest you do the tire and shock change now and be careful what tire you select.  BTW, ride and handling are opposing parameters and you have to select a compromise that will work for you.

Tires

Barry Smith