Tires/rv tyre size

i have got an American RV and the size of the tyre on the wheel is 8R 19.5 what size would this be in metric sizing as i am trying to find some snow chains to fit

8-19.5 doesn't translate into metric sizing.  It's a completely different system - albeit one that's been around for a long time.  

For reference, an 8-19.5 is 8.0" wide (203mm) on a 6" rim, 33.8" in diameter.  It's about a 205/90R19.5 - which obviously isn't anywhere close to what dimensions metric sized tires come in.

What you need to do is look for places that list chains by tire size - and include 8-19.5" as one of the sizes.  I did an online look and found several places.

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.