Tires/tire loading

Dear Barry,

I have been driving a Toyota Picnic 2.0 for 3 years. I was told to change the tires as they wore out by the Toyota service center. I went a mechanic shop. The mechanic replaced my tires (original one: Michelin 205/65R15 94H or 205/60R16 92H from Toyota) by Bridgestone Turanza GR 90 215/60R16 95V due to lack of stocks/tires of the original setting. After the replacement, it seems to me that the tires are a bit flat at the bottom visually and it takes a longer time for the car to respond when I press the pedal hard to increase the speed and rotation. I used to load my old set of tires (according to the tire-loading information on my car door) with 2.3bar/33psi, and so I am still using the same tire loading for my new set of tires. I wonder if I should increase the tire loading as my new set of tires are bigger than the last set.

Thank you for your time and attention. Hope to see your reply soon.

If anything, you should use less pressure.  In effect, your new tires have MORE load carrying capacity and don't need as much pressure to carry the same load.

But what you are experiencing is a)  differences between tires,   and b)  differences between worn and new tires.  

Nothing to worry about.

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.