I have a 03 ford ranger xlt reg cab 4x2.  I needed tires and had little money so I put 4 goodyear wrangler rt/s 31x10.50 r1slt on for cheap.  I now have to replace 1 and can't find a used one.  I have put a p235-70-r15 on it and the guys at the shop said I could put another one  on another tire and run them on the front end and keep the bigger wranglers on the back.....that's my question ...should I do this and will it be safe?  Thank you.

You have a dilemma.  The basic rule is to put the best tires on the rear, because you don't want the rear end to be the weak link - and usually that means the new tires.  But the 31x10.50R15LT tires are "better" in the sense that they have more load carrying capacity.

Clearly, you shouldn't be running a single odd tire.  It ought to at least be part of a pair.

So there isn't a clear cut answer here.

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.