Tires/Tires

Question
I have a 03 ford ranger xlt reg cab 4x2.  I needed tires and had little money so I put 4 goodyear wrangler rt/s 31x10.50 r1slt on for cheap.  I now have to replace 1 and can't find a used one.  I have put a p235-70-r15 on it and the guys at the shop said I could put another one  on another tire and run them on the front end and keep the bigger wranglers on the back.....that's my question ...should I do this and will it be safe?  Thank you.

Answer
Brenda,

You have a dilemma.  The basic rule is to put the best tires on the rear, because you don't want the rear end to be the weak link - and usually that means the new tires.  But the 31x10.50R15LT tires are "better" in the sense that they have more load carrying capacity.

Clearly, you shouldn't be running a single odd tire.  It ought to at least be part of a pair.

So there isn't a clear cut answer here.

Tires

Barry Smith