Tires/2008 Nissan Pathfinder Valve stem leak

My valve stem is leaking air and I have to add air every other day.  Is this something that I can replace myself or do I have to pay $250 to have it done at the car dealer?  It has a sensor in it - it is not just a regular valve stem.

For practical purposes, this is something that requires specialized equipment.

And, no, it might not cost $250, especially if the leak is only on the valve portion and not the sensor portion.  Use a regular tire shop, not the dealer.  They will be less expensive.

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.