Tires/Mixing W and V speed rated A/S tires

Hello, It is Ok to use (3)W speed rated A/S tires with (1) V A/S rated tire on my Nissan 2002 Maxima SE, Secondly, I will be putting (2) different brand/tread type A/S Tires on the front, (1) W speed/-michelin pilot sport A/S with a V speed, Bridgestone A/S Potenza. My back tires are both W speed - BF Goodrich: g-Force Super Sport A/S. All (4) tires are used...w/similar wear levels. Do you see an safety issue on highway usage with using these mixed A/S speed tires? I only drive 15 minutes to work at speeds 25- 40 mph on backroads. I dont want  buy a new set of tires since I am going to get rid of the car in the spring of 2014 and these (4) tires still have decent tread on them. I live in Massachusetts and the 2014 winter is upon us. Thank you. R/Bill

In emergency situations, vehicles tend to pivot around the odd tire - and the more different the tire is, the worse this situation can become.

You've not only got different a brand, but a lower speed rating in top of it.  I should mention that Michelin tires are built a bit different than other brands - and, yes, that includes the Goodrich brand that is owned by Michelin.  Michelin didn't change much when they purchased Goodrich, and Goodrich tires are much more like the other brands than they are like Michelin brand tires.

So I'm leaning towards saying this sounds like a bad idea.  Skidding on the snow could result in a bad situation.

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.