I just purchased BF Goodrich all terrain tires, LT 245/75 R 16 for  a 2008 Nissan Xterra S. Original equipment tires were P265/70 R16.  The vehicle is mostly street driven but we also go off road.  I would like to know what the ideal PSI should be.  Inside the door says 35 psi for the original equipment tires.  I have gotten a range of opinions from 35 - 58 PSI (the highest from BF Goodrich itself, based on empty load of 4360 pounds).  The dealer I bought them from said 35 psi for street driving and then pump to 50 psi when off road.  Is their an ideal psi for all around driving?

First, I am not a fan of replacing P type tires with LT type tires - and in a moment, you'll see why.

At 35 psi, a P265/70R16 has a load carrying capacity of 2185#.

In order to carry the same load, an LT245/75R16 needs to use 58 psi.

So I agree with BFG.

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.