Tires/tire pressure for Toyo 265x70x17

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4

First step is to find the vehicle tire placard - which will list the original tire size and the proper pressure for that size.  If the tire size is the same, then the pressure listed there is appropriate.

The vehicle tire placard is usually located on a airframe or in the glovebox, but sometimes it is on the fuel filler door or on the inside trunk lid.

Please note:  It is important to know that there is a difference between P type tires and LT type tires.  They have different load carrying characteristics and the result will be different pressures.  So if the letters "P" or "LT" appear in front of the tire size, they indicate what type of tire it is - and P's and LT's are different.

If the tire size on the vehicle tire placard is different (and that includes differences between "P" and "LT"), then the pressure has to be recalculated.  It's easy to do, but requires the use to load tables, which are sometimes hard to find.  I have them and can do the calculation, but I will need to know what the vehicle tire placard says for tire size and pressure - and include the letters "P" and "LT" if they are there.  

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.