Tires/One Tire Replacement

On a Toyota, 09 Camry XLE V6 The L. front tire was damaged in an accident. Michelin PRIMACY mxv4 215/60R16H. The Ins. Co. Only wants to replace the damaged tire. Being the Front end shouldn't BOTH front tires be replaced? and WHY. The Front tires have approx. 15000 miles on them.  I have to submit your answer to the State of North Carolina Ins. Dept. Please respond Quickly.
Thanks, John

The best information I have says that tires within 2/32nds of an inch can be considered functionally equivalent.

So first step would be to measure both tires.

Second, if they are more than 2/32nds different, they are different enough to require some action - and in your case, it would be a pair of new tires.  This is to prevent problems to your drivetrain due to differences in diameter - AND - for safety reasons (vehicles tend to pivot around odd tires in an emergency maneuver.)

I hope this explains things.

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.