Tires/One Tire Replacement

Question
On a Toyota, 09 Camry XLE V6 The L. front tire was damaged in an accident. Michelin PRIMACY mxv4 215/60R16H. The Ins. Co. Only wants to replace the damaged tire. Being the Front end shouldn't BOTH front tires be replaced? and WHY. The Front tires have approx. 15000 miles on them.  I have to submit your answer to the State of North Carolina Ins. Dept. Please respond Quickly.
Thanks, John

Answer
John,

The best information I have says that tires within 2/32nds of an inch can be considered functionally equivalent.

So first step would be to measure both tires.

Second, if they are more than 2/32nds different, they are different enough to require some action - and in your case, it would be a pair of new tires.  This is to prevent problems to your drivetrain due to differences in diameter - AND - for safety reasons (vehicles tend to pivot around odd tires in an emergency maneuver.)

I hope this explains things.

Barry

Tires

Barry Smith