Tires/tire size

Hello I have a 2002 ford f150 supercab xlt 2wd with 225/70 16 tires and was wondering if I can put on 255/70 16 tires ? thanks

First, I think you'll find the original tire size on your vehicle was not 225/70R16.  

Find the vehicle tire placard which will be on the driver's doorpost.  It will list the original tire size and the proper pressure for that size.

Second, a P255/70R16 was an option for many versions of the 2002 F-150 - including yours - and the placard may state that this was the original size.

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.