Tires/car tires

I know this is very minor, but am just curious... After one month of putting 36 lbs of air in my car tires (all the same kind) and after several nights of sub-freezing temps (in the teens), they all had 34 lbs or a little more, except one had 33. Unless it's a leak which I doubt, can tires sometimes lose more air than the others for some reason? Thanks

If 3 tires started with 36.4 psi and one started with 35.7 psi, we would measure all 4 as 36 psi - but when the temperature dropped, the lowest one would measure less than the other 3 - but within 1 psi.  So I can see where you might think that there is a difference when the problem is the ability to measure pressure precisely.  

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.