Tires/old tire sizes

Question
What is the modern tire size that will fit where the original size was 7.50-16. I need to get the old truck running again and need tires in the "E" rating or 10 ply.. Don't care if they are radial or bias ply.
         Thanks, Bill Millere7ar

Answer
William,

A 7.50-16LT Load Range E (10 PR) has an overall diameter of 31.8" with a width of 8.6" on a 6.0" rim and a load carrying capacity of 2755# at 80 psi (single).

The closest modern tire size is an LT215/85R16 Load Range E, with a diameter of 30.4" , a width of 8.5" on a 6.0" rim and a load carrying capacity of 2680# @ 80 psi.  That's a bit short in terms of load carrying capacity.

Another possible size is an LT235/85R16 Load Range E - 31.7", 9.25 on a 6.5", 3042# at 80 psi - however, it is wider and that might cause issues.

And lastly, the 7.50-16's you are replacing are tubeless, right?  If they are tubetube, you are likely going to need to change wheels to a tubeless version.  

Tires

Barry Smith