Tires/old tire sizes

What is the modern tire size that will fit where the original size was 7.50-16. I need to get the old truck running again and need tires in the "E" rating or 10 ply.. Don't care if they are radial or bias ply.
         Thanks, Bill Millere7ar

A 7.50-16LT Load Range E (10 PR) has an overall diameter of 31.8" with a width of 8.6" on a 6.0" rim and a load carrying capacity of 2755# at 80 psi (single).

The closest modern tire size is an LT215/85R16 Load Range E, with a diameter of 30.4" , a width of 8.5" on a 6.0" rim and a load carrying capacity of 2680# @ 80 psi.  That's a bit short in terms of load carrying capacity.

Another possible size is an LT235/85R16 Load Range E - 31.7", 9.25 on a 6.5", 3042# at 80 psi - however, it is wider and that might cause issues.

And lastly, the 7.50-16's you are replacing are tubeless, right?  If they are tubetube, you are likely going to need to change wheels to a tubeless version.  

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.