Tires/tire pressure

my question concerns a 2005 jeep grand Cherokee limited 5.7 hemi. currently it has 265/40r22 on it I was wondering what the tire pressure should be for that car?

On every vehicle sold in the US, there is a sticker, commonly called the vehicle tire placard, that lists the original tire size and the proper pressure for that size.  The vehicle tire placard is usually found on a doorpost or in the glove box, but sometimes it is on the fuel filler door or in the trunk.

According to Tire Guides, a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee came with a variety of tire sizes:  P235/65R17 inflated to 33 psi, P245/65R17 inflated to 33 psi.  Please check the vehicle tire placard to verify this as what comes next is based on this information - and if it is wrong, what follows is wrong as well.

In order to carry the same load a P235/65R17 does at 33 psi, a 265/40R22 needs to use 36 psi, and to carry the same load a P245/65R17 does at 33 psi, a 265/40R22 needs to use 39 psi.

So it depends on what the vehicle tire placard says is the original tire size.

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.