Tires/V rated vs. T rated Tire- 2010 Ford Fusion

I have 60,000 miles on the original tires (Michelin)and they need to be replaced in the next month or so.  I have found pricing for the same size tire in the T rating to be much less expensive than the V rating.  I am a middle aged woman who doesn't drive over 80 mph.  I drive 60 miles per day to and from work.  Would it be ok to use the T rated tire instead of the V?

Yes, it is OK - you just want to be aware of a few things.

First, is that moving down in speed rating is directionally towards a less safe tire - one more likely to fail  The risk is very low, but because these types of failure can have tragic results, the overall direction may not be the way you want to go.

For this reason, I don't recommend any use less than an H rated tire.  You can find quite a few reasonably priced H rated tires - and frankly that would be my recommendation.

Second, directionally this is towards a softer riding, but less crisp handling tire.  That isn't always the case, but it tends to go that direction.

So there you have it.  

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.