Tires/TIRES

Question
WHAT IS THE DIFFERANCE IN A CONTIENTAL 22540ZR18 92YXL AND A CONTIENTAL 22540R18 92YXL

Answer
Charlee,

It used to be that speed ratings were imbedded in the tire size so people would pay attention to them.  But times have changed and the current practice is to place the speed rating with the load index after the tire size.

That means there is no difference between the 2 tires as you have written them

- BUT -

There may be differences if the names of the tires are different

- AND -

it is possible that there are 2 tires listed with the same name and the same size, but because they are supplied to different vehicle manufacturers, they could be different.  Perhaps the difference in the way the sizing/speed rating is stated is a clue to this.

If you want more detail, I will need to know what the tire name is, not just the manufacturer.

Tires

Barry Smith