Tires/car tire

Hi Barry,
2010 corolla LE, what happens if we have tire size 195-65-15 on the front and 205-60-15 on the rear. The car calls for 195-65-15 front and back.
Thank you,

The best situation is to have 4 identical tires on a vehicle that calls for the same size - as opposed to those vehicles where a staggered fitment is specified.

By "identical" I mean same size, same make, same model, and same state of wear.

The further away you get from that, the more likely it is that there more be stability problems with the vehicle.  By stability problems I mean the front and rear could swap ends under emergency maneuvers.

So if the tires are only different by size, then I don't think that is very much of a difference.

But if there are different brands involved, it could be that the rears are different enough that in spite of them being newer, they could be more inclined to lose traction first - not a good situation.

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.