Tires/car tire

Question
Hi Barry,
2010 corolla LE, what happens if we have tire size 195-65-15 on the front and 205-60-15 on the rear. The car calls for 195-65-15 front and back.
Thank you,
Randy

Answer
Randy,

The best situation is to have 4 identical tires on a vehicle that calls for the same size - as opposed to those vehicles where a staggered fitment is specified.

By "identical" I mean same size, same make, same model, and same state of wear.

The further away you get from that, the more likely it is that there more be stability problems with the vehicle.  By stability problems I mean the front and rear could swap ends under emergency maneuvers.

So if the tires are only different by size, then I don't think that is very much of a difference.

But if there are different brands involved, it could be that the rears are different enough that in spite of them being newer, they could be more inclined to lose traction first - not a good situation.

Tires

Barry Smith