Tires/Bias ply tires

Are bias ply tires more prone to hydro planing than radial tires? Are bias ply tires still available?

No, if anything radial tires are more prone to hydroplaning - all other things being equal.

But the problem is that all things are rarely equal - and in the case of radial tires, there are things you can do to improve hydroplaning resistance that you can't do to radial tires (at least, not without causing a major problem is some other area, such as wear).  So in some respects, the answer to your question is the opposite of what I stated above.

Bias ply tires are still available.  In passenger car sizes, they are extremely rare and exist only in the old sizing system, like 7.00-14.  They are more available in truck sizes, and for motorcycles, earthmover, and industrial tires.

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.