Tires/michelin tire size

Hi Barry
 I purchased a set of Michelin tires for a kia soul plus 215/55r17 94t at Costco good price.After the paperwork was done he said I can't mount them on the car because they're not a 215/55r17 94v something about liability ? got any ideas

Many tire shops will not install a tire with a lessor load rating or a lesser speed rating.  Why?  Because if they do, they could be sued for downgrading the vehicle's tires - and many shops do not want to be in this legally liable situation.

In your case, it is the speed rating:  V to T.

The solution?  Find a tire in a V speed rating, or find a shop that will install a lower speed rating.

My recommendation is not to drop below an H rating.  You should be able to find many acceptable tires with an H speed rating.

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.