Tires/Tire Size

Question
QUESTION: I have a 2005 Toyota Camry with 235 45 r17 tires. It seems like this size is very rare and expensive if I am lucky to find. I was told at a Tire Shop that I should put 215 55 r17. Wondering if the 215 55 r17 will fit properly on the existing rims.

Thank you for your time and attention....

ANSWER: Karim,

Are the wheels the OE wheels?  If so, then the 215/55R17's will fit.

If they are not, there is a possibility they will not as a 235/45R17 is supposed to fit on a 7.5" to 9" wide wheel, while the 215/55R17 is supposed to go on a 6 to 7.5" wide wheel.  You can check the wheel wide by looking at the back of the wheel.  The width will be written there usually accompanied by the rim flange code like this:  6.5J.

QUESTION: Thank you Barry for taking the time and replying to my question. I apologize for my ignorance but I don't know what OE means. The size is 7.5", so I think they should fit. Thanks once again.

Sincerely, Karim

Answer
Karim

OE means Original Equipment - that is, they came on the new car.

And if the wheels are 7.5", then they are NOT OE as the OE wheels were 7".  This might create a fitment problem, so you'll need to talk to someone knowledgeable when it is tiome to do a fitment.

Tires

Barry Smith