Tires/tire cracking

Hi ~ I recently purchased a 2011 Ford Fusion with very low mileage. It has Michelin tires and I just noticed slight dry cracking on the sides. I'm not sure how serious it is. I do not have a long commute to work and I am wondering if the tires are good through the summer or if I should just put some new ones on now... thanks for your time and opinion.

A certain amount of cracking is normal - and it is hard to describe how much.  But the word "slight" probably means things are OK.

You might want to have someone look at them for a better opinion.

On the other hand, you could monitor the tires by regularly (say once a month) rubbing your hands around the circumference (with gloves, of course).  What you are looking for is a bulge.  If that happens, get the tires immediately replaced.  

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.