Tires/tire cracking

Question
Hi ~ I recently purchased a 2011 Ford Fusion with very low mileage. It has Michelin tires and I just noticed slight dry cracking on the sides. I'm not sure how serious it is. I do not have a long commute to work and I am wondering if the tires are good through the summer or if I should just put some new ones on now... thanks for your time and opinion.

Answer
Megan,

A certain amount of cracking is normal - and it is hard to describe how much.  But the word "slight" probably means things are OK.

You might want to have someone look at them for a better opinion.

On the other hand, you could monitor the tires by regularly (say once a month) rubbing your hands around the circumference (with gloves, of course).  What you are looking for is a bulge.  If that happens, get the tires immediately replaced.  

Tires

Barry Smith