Tires/tire age

The DOT code on my tires is AP4V old are they? I purchased a couple years ago and they are already dry rotting. Thank you for your help...Trixie

Long version:

Short Version:  You need to look on the other side of the tire.  The side you are looking at only has a partial code.  It is missing the date code - which is allowed and very common.  But the full code has to be on one side.

The date code format is week/week/year/year.  So a 2209 is the 22nd week of 2009.  

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.