Tires/Dry rot and warranty

Question
We bought 4 Yokohama tires in January 2009 for our Mazda Tribute. The tires have good tread, less than 50,000 miles on them, but is showing dry rot.  The tires were bought because they have a 60,000 mile warranty.  Is this something that is covered under the manufacturer's warranty policy? The tire shop said the tire we have was discontinued but they have a better one that will cost $175/tire.

Answer
Cindy,

According to Yokohama's web site, weather related issues are covered for 4 years from the date of purchase.  So it would not be covered by warranty.

But it is possible to negotiate something with the manufacturer.  Call their 800 number and explain the situation.  Maybe, just maybe, they will be willing to offer some goodwill gesture that will reduce the cost.

1 - 800 - 722 - 9888  

Tires

Barry Smith