Tires/Dry rot and warranty

We bought 4 Yokohama tires in January 2009 for our Mazda Tribute. The tires have good tread, less than 50,000 miles on them, but is showing dry rot.  The tires were bought because they have a 60,000 mile warranty.  Is this something that is covered under the manufacturer's warranty policy? The tire shop said the tire we have was discontinued but they have a better one that will cost $175/tire.

According to Yokohama's web site, weather related issues are covered for 4 years from the date of purchase.  So it would not be covered by warranty.

But it is possible to negotiate something with the manufacturer.  Call their 800 number and explain the situation.  Maybe, just maybe, they will be willing to offer some goodwill gesture that will reduce the cost.

1 - 800 - 722 - 9888  

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.