Tires/replacement tire/wheel

can I replace original tire/wheel 205x55x15 by 205x40x16 without compromising safety?

No, you would be compromising safety.  The load carrying capacity would be less and that leads to tire failures.  Very bad.

May I suggest you look up your vehicle on Tire Rack and find what tire size they say will work - both in terms of load carrying capacity AND physical space under the fenders.

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.