Tires/Age of tires

I recently learned how to read the tire date codes and found that the tires on my RV were manufactured in 2001, but they still look good and have a lot of tread.  Is there any need to be concerned about the age since everything else seems fine?

Yes, you need to be concerned.

It is a commonly held opinion that tires only last 6 to 10 years depending on where you live.

The symptom is cracking, but lack of cracking doesn't mean things are good.  Tires that aren't used much don't develop cracks as fast as tires that are used frequently, but what matters is the state of the rubber inside the tire.  the cracks only tell you about the outside.

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.