Tires/Camper tires

What is the difference between 570 x 8 and 480 x 8 tires for a 1965 Apache Buffalo pop-up cotaamper?  I thought I was ordering two of the 570 but received the 480.  Can the 480 be used when the original was 570?  Thanks for any help you can give!

A 5.70 - 8 is a tire size designated for trailer usage.  So is a 4.80 - 8.

But they do have different load carrying capacities and different diameters.  

No, a 4.80 - 8 can NOT be used in place of a 5.70 - 8, or at least not without some additional information.

I would call the folks you bought those from and have them provide you with the correct tire. BTW, you need to specify the Load Range or Ply Rating.  Both come in different Load Ranges and that affects the load carrying capacity and the maximum inflation pressure.  

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.