Tires/pressure and outside temperature

Which would lower tire psi more.... a car sitting in very cold temperatures under freezing and consistently for weeks, or a sudden drop in temperature?   Thanks

It depends on what you mean.

The inflation pressure is dependent on the actual temperature at the moment you measure it.  A sudden drop in temperature results in heat being retained for a period of time, but it only takes and hour or so for the tire to cool.

So if the temperature drops overnight and you measure it in the morning after a few hours of it being cold, you will get the same pressure if the car sat for weeks - beacuse the temperatures would be the same.

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.