Tires/pressure and outside temperature

Question
Which would lower tire psi more.... a car sitting in very cold temperatures under freezing and consistently for weeks, or a sudden drop in temperature?   Thanks

Answer
Lee,

It depends on what you mean.

The inflation pressure is dependent on the actual temperature at the moment you measure it.  A sudden drop in temperature results in heat being retained for a period of time, but it only takes and hour or so for the tire to cool.

So if the temperature drops overnight and you measure it in the morning after a few hours of it being cold, you will get the same pressure if the car sat for weeks - beacuse the temperatures would be the same.

Tires

Barry Smith