Tires/tire size

I have a 05 Freestyle that came with 265/70/17 tires I want to know if I can safely switch to 245/70/17 for the winter?

There is something wrong.  Tire Guides doesn't list a 265/70R17 as the original tire size. They list 215/65R17's.  This is such a difference that we need to go back to the basics.

On every vehicle sold in the US, there is a sticker, commonly called the vehicle tire placard, that lists the original tire size and the specified pressure for that size.  Placards are usually on the driver's doorframe, but sometimes are on other door frames, in the glove box, on the fuel filler door, or in the truck.

Find your vehicle's placard and read what it says.  It it says 265/70R17, then you can NOT use a 245/70R17.  But if it says 215/65R17, then we have a whole 'nother kind of discussion to talk about.

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.