Tires/tire size

Question
I have a 05 Freestyle that came with 265/70/17 tires I want to know if I can safely switch to 245/70/17 for the winter?

Answer
Nathaniel,

There is something wrong.  Tire Guides doesn't list a 265/70R17 as the original tire size. They list 215/65R17's.  This is such a difference that we need to go back to the basics.

On every vehicle sold in the US, there is a sticker, commonly called the vehicle tire placard, that lists the original tire size and the specified pressure for that size.  Placards are usually on the driver's doorframe, but sometimes are on other door frames, in the glove box, on the fuel filler door, or in the truck.

Find your vehicle's placard and read what it says.  It it says 265/70R17, then you can NOT use a 245/70R17.  But if it says 215/65R17, then we have a whole 'nother kind of discussion to talk about.

Tires

Barry Smith