Tires/after rotating tires

I had the tires rotated on my new car after 5000 miles. I saw in the manual it says that after rotating the tires, the lug nuts should be tightened after 600 miles. I've never done that with other vehicles, is it necessary?  Thanks

It is possible for lug nuts to need an additional torquing after a while as the vehicle bounces and such.  Is it necessary?  Not always, but losing a wheel due to lug nuts becoming loose is such a bad thing, the precaution is worth the effort.  

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.