Tires/Tire Size

I have a GMC Vandura 6 cyl Van.  Had GDYR Wrangler Radial OWL tires P235/75R-15.  Discount Tires said that tire discontinued.  Said they would but on a comparable tire that was even better.  They put on a YOK YOKOHAMA P235/75 R15.  This tire doesn't seem as wide as I can see part of the rim. Is this safe to have a 16th of the rim showing?  Or should I have them put on a entirely different tire?  Had all 4 tire done today.   Thanks,

It looks like the Goodyear Wrangler Radial had a rim protector, but since you didn't say which Yokohama tire you had, I can't be sure if that has one or not - I'm guessing not.

No, there's no problem, but the tire will not be as protective of the rim, but it isn't a safety issue.

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.