Tires/sidewall cracks/peeling

Vehicle is a 2002 F250 4x4 XLT with 80K miles and original tires.  I do plan to replace the tires but wondered how significant of risk for blowout, etc.  At the letters of tires there are cracks and a bit of peeling back from the sidewall (small flaps).  The flaps are a few mm thick and small in size.

Photos would be extremely helpful, because some cracking is normal and some isn't.

For example, it is common for the white sidewalls to be damaged by curbs, and that kind of damage doesn't really affect the longevity of the tires.

On the other hand, your tires are 12 years old - and that is beyond the point where they should be replaced.

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.