Tires/High speed intermittent hum on tires

Hi, I own a 2011 CRV EX-L AWD with Michelin Defenders (23600 miles).  Overall CRV has 43000 on it.  Recently in the past 5K or so at highway speeds (55+) and after 15-20 min of driving, when going road goes to right, there is a loud hum that starts.  When the road straightens or goes left, the noise stops.  It started on the front (sounded as if driver side).  I had them rotated (22500) and the noise followed to rear.  Since I've had them I have them regularly rotated and I also get an alignment check every spring as the roads in Buffalo are rough.  Any ideas and if I need to replace them, can I just replace the rear two or do I need to do all four.

It sounds like your tires have developed irregular wear - and the problem is the alignment spec in the rear = more than a degree.  That spec tends to wear tire unevenly, but develop good cornering power.

I would recommend you get an alignment that minimizes the camber - an ALL positions and ride it out.  

Barry Smith

I have over 30 years experience in the design, manufacturing, and testing of tires. I have served as the technical advisor to the "800" number. I have authored or co-authored many publications - usually without credit. I can answer almost any technical question, but please don`t ask me to compare brands. I probably have prejudices because of my work experience.

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Member Tire Society (Tire Technical Organization) SCCA Regional Competiton License holder Authored many training manuals on tires, their care and use.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Tire Society

You may want to visit my web site:

I am a graduate of the University of Dayton, Dayton, OH - BME, 1971 I attended graduate school at the University of Akron - but did not complete my PhD - something I regret.